melleach

Mel's Book Blog

I read and review whatever strikes my fancy and many things strike my fancy. I'm particularly fond of Young Adult, New Adult, dystopian tales, and mystery thrillers. Easily distracted by the newest book in the shelf.

The Upside of Unrequited
Becky Albertalli
Tin God
Stacy Green
Arrows Through Archer
Nash Summers
If There's No Tomorrow
Jennifer L. Armentrout
Secrets of Power Negotiating: 15th Anniversary Edition (Inside Secrets from a Master Negotiator)
Roger Dawson

Aspen

Aspen - Rebekah Crane Another great book from Rebekah Crane who also wrote The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland, a book I absolutely adored. With this second book (which actually came before the first one I read), Rebekah Crane has become an auto-buy for me. Her characters always have a certain degree of quirk, but also possess a richness and depth that make them so real and draw the reader into their story.

I can't really say a lot about the book without giving things away, but suffice it to say that Aspen is a regular kid who blends into the background of high school until she is suddenly thrust into the forefront, quite literally by accident. She has a hilarious supporting cast of characters: A pot-smoking, free-loving hippie mom and two besties: Kim who throws the f-bomb around like confetti and Cass who is as obsessed with sex as any teen-aged boy who's never had any can be.

The book eloquently portrays how trauma can affect our perception of events and how the secrets we keep can compound that trauma. And how sharing our truths can heal and strengthen relationships.